What Are the Jeep Selec-Terrain® 4×4 Driving Modes?
There is no off-roader like a Jeep. The brand’s capable four-wheel drive system lets adventurer drivers go where most SUVs fear to tread. But Jeep is aware not all terrains are equal and require the same type of traction. That’s why some of its models come equipped with the Selec-Terrain® traction management system, a technology that allows drivers to select from five different modes depending on the terrain they’re driving on. Do you want to know what are the Jeep Selec-Terrain® 4×4 driving modes and how do they work? See the breakdown below.
Read more: 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Performance Specs
How Does the Selec-Terrain® 4×4 System Work?
The Jeep Selec-Terrain® 4×4 System is an innovative feature that optimizes performance to fit the terrain around you with five driver-selectable modes. Controlled by a rotary dial in the central console, this system re-calibrates torque distribution to the front and rear wheels to improve traction, handling and performance on different surfaces.
Jeep models that can be equipped with the Jeep Selec-Terrain® traction control include the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2020 Jeep Cherokee, 2020 Jeep Compass and 2020 Jeep Renegade.
What Driving Modes Are Available?
This 4×4 system allows drivers to select between five modes: Auto, Snow, Sand, Mud and Rock. Each setting will give you optimal throttle response and traction depending on what surface you’re driving on. Let’s get a closer look at each mode:
- Auto: This is the default mode and it’s ideal for day-to-day driving on paved roads. In this setting, your Jeep will intuitively set the suspension and distribute torque between the wheels to ensure smoother steering, better traction and better handling.
- Snow: When faced with snow, ice or sleet, this setting evenly distributes torque to all four wheels and sets the suspension when possible to ensure the best possible grip and prevent spinouts on slippery surfaces.
- Sand: Driving in sandy environments can be challenging. To help prevent your Jeep from getting stuck in soft sand, this mode re-calibrates throttle management and torque distribution to mitigate wheel slip and improve traction.
- Mud: This setting will keep you moving forward even in the stickiest terrain. The Mud mode minimizes wheel spin on muddy trails to regain traction.
- Rock: This terrain mode is designed to overcome challenging obstacles at low speeds. Using evenly distributed torque, Hill Descent Control and locking axles, this setting will let you crawl over rocky terrains with ease. The Rock mode is only available in Jeep 4WD Low Range.
Whether in snow, rocks, mud, sand, or a flat road, the Jeep Selec-Terrain® 4×4 driving modes will help you enjoy the best possible off-roading experience. Interested in experiencing this technology on the unexplored paths of Albany, OR? Visit our website and schedule an appointment to test drive one of the Jeep models in our inventory.